Friday, August 3, 2012

Review: The Glimpse - Claire Merle

The Glimpse


Name: The Glimpse
Author: Claire Merle
Release Date: 7th June 2012
Date I finished it: 19th July 2012
Source: NetGalley ARC
Rating:








Wow, it's been ages since I done a proper review on here!
I got The Glimpse months ago from NetGalley, it's a book I was really looking forward to sinking my teeth into, a dystopian based around mental illness? How could I say no!
Anyway like usual life got in the way and I've only just now got around to reading it!

The Glimpse follows the life of 17 year old Ana as the world she knows and grew up in falls to pieces with the news that her father faked her Pure test.
The Pure test weeds out those who are genetically perfect, from those who have the genes to possibly develop a mental illness. These less than perfect people are known as the crazies.

When Jasper, the 18 year old boy who Ana has been promised to disappears, Ana ventures over to the other side of the wall where the crazies live to find answers. It's the that Ana ends up finding out a bit more than what she bargained for.

I don't want to go too much into the story as I don't want to give away the main plot, but lets just say everything kind of keeps snowballing for Ana from page one.


I really enjoyed this book. I've read a lot of bad reviews on it based solely on the mental health side of things, which is what I want to mainly address in this review. First this is work of fiction. Of course there is no real to test to find out if a person might develop depression in a couple of years! I think the way the crazies were portrayed in the book was actually very interesting and made me want to learn a bit more about different mental health issues.

As far as the plot and the pace of the book, I managed to finish this one in a day. It's not a massive book but it's the story that keeps you from putting it down. I was glued to my Kindle for hours with this one! The story itself is something surprisingly fresh in the YA Dystopian genre, It really was much more than I was expecting and it left me wanting to know more about this amazing world Merle has created!

Overall a very enjoyable and different sort of read for me!


1 comment:

  1. Great review.

    Sadly I didn't like this one :( I tried to but I gave up around page 80 :(

    ReplyDelete

 
Blog design by Imagination Designs