Sunday, September 4, 2011

Review: The Crystal Doors (Crystal Doors #1) - Rebecca Moesta & Kevin J. Anderson

Name: The Crystal Doors (Crystal Doors #1)

Author: Rebecca Moesta & Kevin J. Anderson

General Release Date: 1st May 2007

Date I finished it: 30th August 2011

Type: Audio Book

From: Audible.com

My Rating: 3/5 stars






I got The Crystal Doors audio book forever ago and it takes me such a long time to get through audio books compared to physical books. As much as I enjoy being read to, sometimes I just want the book to be finished so I can go onto something else. This was one of those books.

The Crystal Doors is a middle grade book I would say aimed at ages 10+.
The book follows fourteen year old cousins Gwen and Vic as they are accidently thrown into the strange world of Elantya and desperately try to get back home.
Through their struggles they discover magic and make new friends. When the peaceful island life on Elantya is threatened by sea creatures Vic and Gwen fight alongside Elantyan residents to help them save their small island.
Along the way they also uncover a few secrets about themselves.

I enjoyed probably the first half of this book, after the halfway mark it just seemed to drag on.
I don't know if that would have been different if I wasn't listening to it as an audio book. It seemed like after the halfway mark there wasn't really anything new or surprising in the book. As a reader I pretty much learned everything I needed to know in the first half.

Besides that, the story line in the book is really good. I haven't really read a lot of middle grade books, but I did enjoy the story in this one it wasn't like anything I had ever read before.
I likde the whole concept of the Crystal Doors and how they open into different worlds. I'm guessing if you carry on with the series you will discover these other worlds.

I really liked all the characters in the book, which is strange for me. Usually in books there is at least one character I don't really like. The characters themselves were well thought out and each had their own personalities and traits which helped bring them to life.

I'm not entirely sure if I will be carrying on with this series or not, it's not a series I will be going out of my way to try and find. I enjoyed this book, but not enough that I feel like I desperately need to go out and buy the next book right away.

1 comment:

  1. Hey!

    I just wanted to come across and say hello :)

    Thanks for all the books today, much, much appreciated.

    I haven't heard of this book before so thanks for the review - I've also just recently started using Audible and so far I have discovered I LOVE listening to books too :D

    I'm also a new follower :)

    ReplyDelete

 
Blog design by Imagination Designs