Thursday, May 24, 2012

Review: Insurgent (Divergent #2) - Veronica Roth


Insurgent (Divergent, #2)

Name: Insurgent (Divergent #2)
Author: Veronica Roth
Release Date: 1st May 2012
Date I finished it: 7th May 2012
Source: Bought Paperback
Rating:








I've been waiting a while to write my review for Insurgent, because to be honest I'm not completely sure what to say about it. I was super excited for the book, I devoured Divergent in one afternoon and was desperate for more of the story right away.
So when I finally got my hands on a copy of Insurgent, I cleared my plans for the day and dived in right away. 
Right from the start it did seem different to Divergent in many ways, I knew it wouldn't be the same. Lots of things happened in the book and things had to be switched around and changed, but to me it just wasn't as good as Divergent was.

I know a lot of bloggers read and loved Insurgent. I just don't feel the same way about it, and I know I'll probably end up taking abuse for putting up this review, as it's not going to be all gushy about Four and how great this book is.
Don't get me wrong, it was a really great read! I loved the plot and getting to see some of my favourite book characters again after a long year without them. It just didn't seem to have the same element of suspense or thrill that Divergent did.
I think that maybe this is just me though, I find that with a lot of dystopian series', I feel let down by the second book in the series. I was the exact same way about the Matched series as well.

I did feel let down by it, and to be honest I can't explain why. There was a lot of action and drama going on in the book, which I loved! There was a few Tris and Four scenes, which again I loved!
I also liked seeing the different factions and learning more about them, especially with a war raging around them all.
I think I just expected more from this book, which again is probably my fault for getting my hopes up, and nothing at all to do with the book, really I can't fault anything in the story line at all.

I did give it four stars, like I said there is nothing wrong with the book, it's just me and my alarmingly high expectations. The plot is good and fast paced, which I like. The characters that I came to know in Divergent are back and smarter and funnier that ever! There are a few plot twists thrown in, which I am a huge sucker for! The writing style is easy to follow and sucks you in, the ending left me awe-struck and desperate for the third book!

Overall, it was a really great book!
I just need to learn not to expect miracles from authors, they are only human after all!


No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Blog design by Imagination Designs