Monday, February 20, 2012

Review: Choker - Elizabeth Woods

Choker
 Name: Choker
Author: Elizabeth Woods
Release Date: 1st March 2012
Date I finished it: 15th Feb 2012
From: ARC from publishers
Rating: 3/5 Stars






Blurb from Goodreads:
Sixteen-year-old Cara Lange has always been a loner, even more so since she moved away from her best and only friend, Zoe, a few years ago. Cara mostly spends her time avoiding the popular girls who call her 'choker' after a humiliating incident in the cafeteria, and watching Ethan Gray from a distance, wishing he would finally notice her. 

Then one day Cara comes home and finds Zoe waiting for her. Zoe's on the run from problems at home, and Cara agrees to help her hide. With Zoe back, Cara's life changes overnight. Zoe gives her a new look and new confidence, and before she can blink, Cara is flirting with Ethan and getting invited to parties. And best of all, she has her best friend to confide in again. 

But just as quickly as Cara's life came together, it starts to unravel. A girl goes missing in her town, and everyone is a suspect ~ including Ethan. Worse still, Zoe starts behaving very strangely, and Cara begins to wonder what exactly her friend does all day when she's at school. You're supposed to be able to trust your best friend no matter what, but what if she turns into a total stranger?

I enjoyed this book, I gave it three stars because about halfway through the ending was a bit predictable. Apart from that is is a really great story line and something completely different from the usual YA books I have read in the past.

Cara is a very complex character, she has her ups and her downs throughout the book. At times she did really annoy me though, she was a bit too whiney, but once you reach the end of the book you soon realise why and forgive her.

Zoe is still mystery to me, I like the idea of her character in the book and having now completed the book I understand why she has to be portrayed like that. I didn't like her at all, she was just super creepy and mysterious.

I loved the short lived Ethan and Cara romance though, it was really sweet getting to see the two of them together towards the end! I also really loved all the mystery and suspense thrown into this book. I'll be honest, I went into it not really knowing what to expect and was very surprised when I reached the end.
It may seem like a short, quick read when you see the size of the book, but it's been days since I finished reading it and the story is still swirling around in my head!

Overall I really enjoyed this one, the idea behind the book is something new to me.
The story is creepy, mysterious and full of unexpected twists, it will probably stick in your mind for a few days after you finish the book.
I am really hoping there is a follow up book to this one, as I would really like to find out what is going to happen to Cara after the truth was revealed at the end of Choker. The epilogue in the book was not enough for me.

2 comments:

  1. I was always unsure whether I'd want to read this, but you make it sound really interesting. Might have to get a copy of it after all. :D Thanks a lot for sharing!

    Carina
    Fictional Distraction

    ReplyDelete

 
Blog design by Imagination Designs