Sunday, February 26, 2012

Review: Hex Hall (Hex Hall #1) - Rachel Hawkins

Hex Hall (Hex Hall, #1)Name: Hex Hall (Hex Hall #1)
Author: Rachel Hawkins
Release Date:  2010
Date I finished it: 23rd Feb 2012
Source: Bought






I want to start this review by saying I have had Hex Hall sitting on my bookcase for over a year. It was one of those books where I kept thinking I'll get around to it one day. Well I finally got around to picking it up and I could almost hit myself for not reading it sooner, much sooner!

Hex Hall follows 16 year old witch Sophie Mercer as yet another one of her spells go wrong and this time she is being shipped of to Hecate Hall. A sort of reform school for witches, warlocks, werewolves and fairies.
By the end of Sophie's first day at Hecate Hall she has almost been attacked by a werewolf, made three enemys in the form of some very powerful dark witches, has a crush on the hottest boy in school and a vampire for a room mate. Could things get any worse for Sophie?

I loved Hex Hall! I'm probably being super bias here though. Give me anything to do with witches and boarding school and I'm in heaven. I think that comes from growing up on Harry Potter. I was hooked on Hex Hall from page one, I read it in one sitting and literally could not put it down!

Rachel Hawkins writing grips you and pulls you into the story right alongside Sophie and her friends. 
The setting for the book is perfect, a hard to reach, practically deserted Island in the middle of no where, hello  something is definitely going to happen to shake things up at this school! 

I loved the divide between the different races, witches, werewolf, fairy and vampire. You can really see how tense the situation is between the different races and how much they all don't want mixed there together at Hex Hall.

I would have liked to have seen a little bit more of the different magical classes at the school, all we really get to see in Hex Hall is their equivalent of gym class. Which by the way involves a lot of fighting action!
The teachers there all have their own little quirks and charms, which I think is awesome. It shows how well thought out the characters are for this series.

I think Jenna is by far my favourite character in this book. The things that come out of her mouth just cracks me up half the time! She has been though such a horrible and tragic past, but yet isn't looking for pity or sympathy at all. Just for people to accept her for who she is.

Overall, I loved it! If you haven't read it yet I would really try to pick it up soon!

2 comments:

  1. I really need to read this one day, it sounds so great! I keep borrowing it from the library then having to return it before I get a chance to read it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I keep hearing about this one - I've heard this author is great in general. I will have to pick it up soon. Thanks for the great review.

    ReplyDelete

 
Blog design by Imagination Designs