Monday, January 9, 2012

Review: Clockwork Prince (The Infernal Devices #2) - Cassandra Clare

Clockwork Prince (The Infernal Devices, #2)

5/5 Stars

This is the second book in The Infernal Devices series, a prequel series to Cassandra's Mortal Instruments.
I started reading this one literally as soon I finished the last page in Clockwork Angel, I am so glad that I read them back to back, as I don't think I could have bared to wait any longer for answers.
Now I am stuck in the same predicament, having finished Clockwork Prince I don't want to wait ages to get my hands on Clockwork Princess!

Clockwork Prince picks up right where we left Tessa and the gang in Clockwork Angel, if the London institute do not bring Mortmain down and soon, Charlotte could loose the institute to the Lightwood family.

Tessa is a much better character in this book, the reader gets to see her true nature and personality as well as her quick thinking and great wit in this book. She isn't portrayed as the damsel in distress any more, as she was in Clockwork Angel. I really liked that change as I hate weak female leads in books, I think it sends out completely wrong messages to teens reading the books.

We also get to see a different side to both Will and Jem in this book, I think the biggest change would have to be in Will. After discovering the truth about his past I felt like I just wanted to grab him out of the book, give him a big hug and tell him everything will be alright!

I enjoyed the plot line in this book much more than I did with Clockwork Angel, maybe thats because I feel like I know more about the characters now. Perhaps it was because I loved all the angst and the love triangle going on in this book. I also loved the fact that we get to see more of Magnus Bane in this book. He is by far one of my favourite characters in The Mortal Instruments, it was brilliant to see him popping up again.

For those not sure about which order to read these books in, I would say read at least the first three Mortal Instruments books before even starting on the Infernal Devices books. There is a lot of specific language and words used in both of these series' which you will only really understand from the Mortal Instruments. You will understand the whole concept of Shadowhunters and Downworlders much better if you read Mortal Instruments first.

I still prefer The Mortal Instruments, but The Infernal Devices and it's characters are growing on me. I'll wait to make judgement until I've read Clockwork Princess.

On another note, there is a little Easter Egg that I've been told about, In City of Bones, apparently there is a scene where Magnus is talking to Tessa and she is wearing a white dress. I haven't gone back to look, I take my source's word for it lol. But then does white not mean funeral and death in Shadowhunter world? So someone must die in Clockwork Princess and Tessa is still grieving for then in modern day New York? Possibly, it's only a theory, but have a look for yourself in City of Bones.


1 comment:

  1. I also love more Clockwork Prince than Clockwork Angel. And the scene of Magnus talking a girl in white is in book 3, City of Glass at the end.

    ReplyDelete

 
Blog design by Imagination Designs