Monday, January 9, 2012

Review: Vampire Kisses (#1-8) - Ellen Schreiber

Vampire Kisses (Vampire Kisses, #1)Kissing Coffins (Vampire Kisses, #2)Vampireville (Vampire Kisses, #3)
Dance with a Vampire (Vampire Kisses, #4)The Coffin Club (Vampire Kisses, #5)Royal Blood (Vampire Kisses, #6)
Love Bites (Vampire Kisses, #7)Cryptic Cravings (Vampire Kisses, #8)

I decided to review all eight of these books together, as I pretty much read them all back to back and I don't think I would be able to go back and review them all individually.

Firstly, this is a series that I had known about for a while, but wasn't really too sure what the books were about. Going from the titles it's obvious that they are about vampires, but apart from that I hadn't really looked into them too much. One day in December, bored I decided to give the first book a go and see how I liked it.

All eight books are very short, not as short as a novella. But they are short, I'm pretty sure I averaged about 2 of these books a day while I was reading them. Although they are short they are enjoyable.
I would say they are aimed at a much younger audience than typical YA books. The writing in them is simple and straightforward making them that much easier to glide through one book to the next in the series, to me they all seemed to tie together which makes writing individual reviews on them too hard.

The main character Raven is likeable and funny. Although she does come across very young and immature for her age. I am used to reading YA novels where the female main character is usually much wiser and mature for her age. This is another reason why I feel these books are marketed to the tween market.

The plot itself is captivating and is full of twists and turns. There are quite a few laugh out loud moments as well which keeps the tone of the book rather light hearted. I did enjoy the different aspects of all the books, and the introducing of the new vampires to the town. I really liked the idea of the covenant ceremony to bond vampires for life, that was something I haven't really seen much of in other vampire books.

There isn't really anything negative to say about these books at all, they are fun, light and easy to read. I'm glad I read them all back to back as I don't think I would go back to them if I had only read one or two, they don't really have that captivating element some YA series's do, although they are enjoyable.

To me they were a nice break from some my heaver and thicker books that I need to get through, which was just what I needed at the time I read them. I am looking forward to the release of book 9 in the series, which I think is the last one.

2 comments:

  1. I have the first three books in the series but I haven't read them. I'm happy to hear they are fast and captivating reads.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a new author to me. Thanks for posting and introducing her work to me. DeAnna S.

    ReplyDelete

 
Blog design by Imagination Designs