Monday, January 2, 2012

Review: Unholy Ghosts (Downside Ghosts #1) - Stacia Kane

Unholy Ghosts (Downside Ghosts, #1)

3/5 Stars

Unholy Ghosts was a book I saw everyone had read or had on their to be read lists, so I picked it up and decided to give it a go.

The story follows Chess a witch/ghost hunter who owes a lot of money to a drug lord. He offers Chess a deal to clear her debts by getting rid of ghosts who are hauled up in an old, abandoned airport. The deal seems pretty straight forward and simple enough at first, that is until Chess realises there is dark magic behind the ghosts at the airport.

It took me forever to get into this book, the language and writing style used throughout is just so odd to me. The dialogue between the characters is strange, they have their own little way of talking which takes some getting used to. At first I had to keep going back and re-reading everything because I just couldn't pick it up at all.

After a while,  I finally got the hang of it all, but that was over half way through the book. The background story isn't really explained too well, the reader has to pick up bits and pieces as the story unfolds which I didn't really like either.

Chess however, is a really strong female lead. I did like reading about her and seeing things from her point of view, and there was a few moments where she did actually manage to make me laugh out loud. It was only towards the end of the book that I actually got gripped into her story though.

I found the plot a bit too dragged out, some parts could have easily been cut out in order to make the book flow better.

I don't think I will be continuing on with this series. I liked the book, but not enough to keep reading on.

2 comments:

  1. Oh this sounds really cool! I haven't heard it it before. Too bad it's so hard to grasp at first though. Wonderful review!

    Giselle
    Xpresso Reads

    ReplyDelete
  2. 3/5 stars? Well, I guess it's one of those books that doesn't always work out for us. But the cover looks pretty cool, though!

    ReplyDelete

 
Blog design by Imagination Designs