Friday, June 10, 2011

Review: Ice Maiden - Sally Prue


3/5

I only gave this book 3 out of 5 stars. It took me ages to get into the book and I thought it was pretty strange!

The story is set in a village in England during the second world war and follows Franz who has moved to the village from Berlin with his parents, as well as Edrin who can only be described as a fairy.
Through from the story we are never really told what she is! Edrin lives in the common...which I have gathered to be the woods beside the village with her tribe.

The story flips between both Franz and Edrin's point of view, which was maybe the only thing I really liked about the book to be honest.
The whole telling of the tribe just seemed really strange to me, as you read on you do discover more about them but no where near enough information is given as to what exactly they are, or what they are doing there.

About 3/4's of the way into the book I actually started to enjoy it, but I can see why a lot of people would give up on it completely after one or two chapters. It is pretty difficult to get into and to actually enjoy because nothing actually gets answered in the book!

For being such a short book, it took me a while to read because I had to keep putting it down. I could not read it in one sitting like I normally do with books of this size.

I did enjoy the ending of it however, so it also picked up few marks there for me. The last 50 pages of the book was pretty much the only bits I enjoyed.
Overall - A disappointing read, I had higher hopes for this one.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Blog design by Imagination Designs