Friday, May 27, 2011

Review: The Forest of the Hands and Teeth - Carrie Ryan


4/5

I started this book not really knowing much about it except it was a YA dystopian novel. Of course with my current love affair with dystopian novels I had to read it!

The story follows Mary who lives in a secluded village surrounded by the forest. The villagers know off nothing outside their village, to them their entire world is this small village. No one dares to leave the fences protecting their village because the forest is full of the unconsecrated (zombies to you and me!).

Then of course we have the Sisterhood, a religious order who keep tabs on the villagers, nurse the sick and also play as the local government for the village. Mary is sent to join the Sisterhood and uncovers secrets that don't really seem to make any sense.

As the story unfolds the reader becomes aware that there is something much bigger going on and the real truth of the scale of the village's zombie problem has been hidden from them for generations. Although this book ends by leaving the reader with even more questions and does not tie up all the loose ends.

To me, The Forest of the Hands and Teeth is a perfect mixture of Lois Lowy's The Giver and I am Legend, it has some great twists in the book and I enjoyed it and am looking forward to reading the next book in the series.

1 comment:

  1. Zombies are the new Vampires it seems! I did read a great Zombie book recently (Zombies Don't Cry) and would love to read this one as well, I'm adding it to my TBR list :)
    Thanks for sharing your thoughts!

    ReplyDelete

 
Blog design by Imagination Designs