Saturday, May 14, 2011

Review: The Hunger Games (The Hunger Games #1) - Suzanne Collins


5/5

I cannot believe that I have not wrote my review on this series yet! Well here it is finally!

This is the first book in the Hunger Games series by Suzanne Collins. I actually got the audiobook of this for free and did not know anything about the series, but listened to it anyway. I am so glad I did!

I fell in love with this book instantly, the story is set in what used to be America which is almost all but destroyed now. There are 12 districts centred around The Capitol. Each district have their own speciality and produce different things to be shipped out. This first book takes place is district 12, where Katniss Everdeen lives with her mother and younger sister Primrose.

The family don't have much, and Katniss has taken a deal to provide extra food for her family for the year. This deal however leaves her with extra entries into the drawing for the Hunger Games. The Hunger Games are run every year with one boy and one girl chosen from each district to compete, to compete to the death that is! This year, against all the odds Katniss' little sister Primrose is called to compete. Katniss takes her place instead, well aware that she is most likely going to her death.

I cannot praise this book enough, Suzanne Collins is a brilliant author who has created this amazing world. She has literally thought of everything for this story, from creating the arena where the games are held and making the characters come to life! If you have not read this book yet, I suggest you get down to your bookshop and get your hands on a copy!

1 comment:

  1. Hi Emma,

    Firstly thanks for the reviw. Wow you read a serious amount of books. LOL!

    Just a few quick questions if I may.

    You said that you hadn't heard of the Hunger Games series amd got to know it through the audio book. Since then have you actually read the book itself?

    Like you I hadn't heard of the series. Not surprising really as I'm a 47 year old guy so not really it's target audience. I only stumbled upon the series by accident when I found out about the film version of the Hunger Games.

    I currently have a dilemma. Do I read the book(s) or wait for the film?

    If you have read the book, which I think is really different from an audio book, do you think it's too young in it's writing style for someone my age and I would be better waiting for the film?

    I don't mind reading books written for children or teens as many do trangress the borders and are accessible to adults. The standard has certainly risen so much compared to the stuff being released in the 70s and 80s.

    Anyhow, if you have any thoughts or opinions on the suitability of this series for adults I would be interested in reading them.

    All the best.

    Pete

    ReplyDelete

 
Blog design by Imagination Designs