Saturday, May 28, 2011

Review: Wintergirls - Laurie Halse Anderson


4/5

Wintergirls follows 18 year old Lia who is in her final year of high school, living with her dad and his new family and battling anorexia.

When Lia is told that a girl she used be very close with Cassie has died er world turns upside down. Lia believes Cassie is haunting her, everywhere she turns Cassie is there reminding her that she isn't perfect yet.

The rest of the book follows Lia slowly start to destroy herself as she keeps trace of everything she eats and what she weighs.

I did really did enjoy this books, having read quite a few adult books about the subject of eating disorders I didn't expect much from a YA book, but the book is well researched and not too in depth and graphic, which is ideal for younger readers.

I didn't like the formatting of the book, all the crossing out of text in the middle of sentences. For me it got a bit too confusing at times, but it didn't put me off the overall book.

2 comments:

  1. I've heard a lot of people say that they didn't like the crossing out of words but for me it added to the book overall. We could see that Lia was struggling and that she didn't really want to think the way she was doing... even after years of being anorexic she was still trying to train her mind to think that way.

    I agree with your rating though (:

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd like to read this one. I have never read any books focusing on anorexia and this sounds rather good. Though I will admit that I found that 'crossing-out of text' you mentioned a little weird...

    ReplyDelete

 
Blog design by Imagination Designs