Monday, May 2, 2011

Review: Room - Emma Donoghue


5/5

Again this is not one my typical reads, as I generally read Young Adult Paranormal Romance. I had heard a lot of good things about this book, and was curious to find out for myself why it was so special so I picked it up from my library.

I loved this book, and could not put it down! I read it in one sitting and it was magnificent!

The book centres around 5 year old Jack and his mother, who he calls Ma. They live in 1 room with no windows, and with only a small skylight for sunlight.

It is essentially a book about abduction and imprisonment. Jack has spent his whole life so far in this environment and knows nothing of the outside world.

The book is wrote from Jacks perspective, which I really enjoyed as it makes the reader question his motives and actions, then realise that this is a 5 year old boy telling the story, he doesn't know any better! At times I found myself almost yelling at Jack to urge him on to freedom. And at other times I found myself crying for Jack and his mother for all the hardships they faced in that room.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Blog design by Imagination Designs