Monday, August 22, 2011

Review: After Obsession - Carrie Jones and S.E. Wedel


Name: After Obsession

Author: Carrie Jones and S.E. Wedel

General Release Date: 5th September 2011

Date I finished it: 18th August 2011

Type: Paperback

From: Review copy from publishers

My Rating: 4/5 stars





First of all, a massive Thank You to Bloomsbury Publishing for sending me this book to review!
I hadn't even heard of it until I showed up on my doorstep, once I read the back of the book I had to start it right away it just sounded so good!

After Obsession is written from two different points of view, Aimee and Alan's. Carrie Jones writes Aimee's point of view and S.E. Wedel writes Alan's point of view. This was a really interesting concept for me, I'd never read a collaboration book before and wasn't too sure what to expect. First I thought that maybe the two different writing styles would clash with each other and make the book difficult to read. I was completely wrong! Since each author writes from a different viewpoint it actually works out so much better than books with just one author but writing from different characters viewpoints. It's as if both characters completely come to life, their personalities and thoughts seem more real that they would with just one author writing both parts!

After Obsession had me guessing from page one! I knew there was a ghost aspect to the book, but didn't have a clue what was going to happen or how the characters where going to get through the next dilemma after barely surviving the last one!

The story follows Aimee, Alan and his cousin Courtney as they face the very scary possibility that Courtney may be possessed by a ghost. Not just any ghost but the River Man. The ghost who is responsible for so many deaths in the river near Aimee's house, including the death of her own mother.
Aimee is also coming to terms with the fact that she has inherited her mothers psychic abilities, and might have also inherited her craziness along the way as well. Alan on the other hand is trying to learn about his Native Indian side, all he knows that he was the result of a drunken fling at a party and his father was Navajo. For years he has been searching for acceptance, both from his mother and himself of who he really is.

I loved this book so much, with there being so much choice today within the YA paranormal genre After Obsession is a refreshing change to the usual vampire and werewolf books. I especially loved all the little details about the Navajo customs and traditions and how Alan incorporates them into today's society. I enjoyed the "love and goodness conquers all" feel to the book as well and really liked reading about the three teenagers working together to save their town.

Overall I really loved this book it was different from my usual books, but different in a very good way!

2 comments:

  1. I have this one to read, can't wait to get started no! I've read a few collaboration books before, so interested to see how this one turns out. Glad you liked it - great review! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome! I love books with ghosts. I'm glad to hear it is a little different from many of the books out there. This will definitely be on my TBR list.

    ReplyDelete

 
Blog design by Imagination Designs