Thursday, August 4, 2011

Review: Twisted - Laurie Halse Anderson


Name: Twisted

Author: Laurie Halse Anderson

General Release Date: 20th March 2008

Date I finished it: 1st August 2011

Type: Book

From: From Library

My Rating: 3/5 stars





I've only heard good things about Laurie Halse Anderson's books. I haven't read Speak, but I have seen the film, and I have also previously read Laurie's Wintergirls.
So when I saw Twisted in my local library I had to pick it up!
Sadly I was really let down by it, I only gave it 3 stars. It was still a good book, but after all the hype surrounding Laurie's books I think I set my expectations far to high for Twisted.

It is a short book, and can be read in a day. The print in the book is decent sized, which again makes it a quick read!
The book follows the story of high school senior Tyler and it told from his point of view.
This may be why I also didn't love it, I don't typically read or enjoy books told from a male perspective. Even in books that I love (The Wolves of Mercy Falls for example) when the narrator switches to a male point of view, I don't like it.

Anyway Tyler has recently been in some serious trouble for damaging school property, he has had his car took off him, has a probation officer and has has been doing community service over the summer break.
When it's time to go back to school, people are looking at him in a different way. He was a quite loner type boy in school before, but after the incident he is now seen as dangerous and a bit cool.
This new persona soon draws the attention of the coolest and hottest girl in school, Bethany. Who also happens to be the daughter of his dad's boss!

After a dramatic incident at a party, Tyler gets the blame for everything!
The police are after him again, no one believes he is innocent and he is being attacked in the street and in school.
The book follows Tyler as he tries to adapt to these new changes in his life, going from zero to hero and back to zero again, as well as balancing a new relationship, his weird almost estranged family and battling his own feelings.

Overall it is a really good coming of age story, the character of Tyler is well developed, but the rest of the characters are a bit lacking. The story itself is very believable, but just not quite my cup of tea I'm afraid.

2 comments:

  1. I gave this book.the same rating. Id suggest reading speak that a lot better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Another great book from this author. Loved it. I would recommend all parents to give this book to their teenage kids. I am pretty sure it helped a lot of lost teenagers to just go through some tough times.

    Mariz
    One Stop Buy

    ReplyDelete

 
Blog design by Imagination Designs