Monday, August 29, 2011

Review: Bloodlines (Bloodlines #1) - Richelle Mead


Name: Bloodlines (Bloodlines #1)

Author: Richelle Mead

General Release Date: 25th August 2011

Date I finished it: 27th August 2011

Type: Paperback

From: Amazon

My Rating: 5/5 stars





Once again I don't really know how to write this review without it turning into a massive Richelle Mead Gust-Fest!
I think everyone has been waiting for this book to be released all year, I know I have!

For those of you who may have been living under a rock for the past year, Bloodlines is the new spin off from Richelle's Vampire Academy series. I loved Vampire Academy, it is one of my favourite YA book series', so I was super excited to eventually get my hands on Bloodlines.

This time around we are thrown into the world of Sydney who we met in the Vampire Academy series, but didn't really find out too much about her except for her job. She is an alchemist.
She pretty much cleans up vampire messes and works to make sure humans do not find out about the vampire world, even though she works with vampires, being nice, friendly or even tolerant towards them is strictly frowned upon in the alchemist world. After going rogue and helping Rose in the Vampire Academy series Sydney is in some series trouble with her family and the rest of the alchemists.

In order to save her younger sister from being thrown into the world of vampires, Sydney takes up a new job in Palm Springs, playing the role of Jill's (Queen Vasalisa's half sister) sister and dorming with her in a elite private school to keep her out of harms way.

I won't say too much else because I don't want to spoil the plot for anyone who hasn't read the book yet.
I completely fell in love with this book from page one (which if you know me isn't a big shock, I fall in love with all of Richelle's books from page one!). At first I wasn't too sure about the story being told from Sydney's point of view. I didn't think she was that great of a character in Vampire Academy, she had some great parts in that series, but I didn't know if she had enough pull as a character to tell an entire story.
I was wrong, she did!

As the story unfolds we get to see some of our favourite characters from the Vampire Academy series, as well as some new ones from the Bloodlines world. I really liked how the two worlds mixed at the start of the book and there were characters from both series' sitting in the same room together.

As with all of Richelle's book there is a mysterious danger element in the book and when that mystery is finally unravelled I was completely shocked!

Even though Vampire Academy has come to and end, I'm looking forward to seeing glimpses of my favourite characters in the new Bloodlines series now.
Bloodlines will never be the same as Vampire Academy, it is not meant to be the same! I really cannot wait to read more about Sydney and her antics now.

5 comments:

  1. Fab review. Thanks a lot. I have been hearing a lot abt this book, but have not yet read ANY of the authors books. Would you recommend reading the Vampire Academy books first?
    _yay_ @ http://bookthatthing.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yea! I'm so happy to hear that this is such a great book. I loved The VA series so I'm glad that Richelle Mead lives up to her reputation with this novel.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Really glad you enjoyed this one! I loved VA and can't wait to read this one - good to hear it's just as great! Can't wait to read about Sydney - brilliant review!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've obviously been living under a rock! I hadn't heard of this but it definitely seems popular at the moment. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi, Emma. Really cool blog you have here. I've actually read the first book of the Vampire Diaries, but I never got to finish. But this book seems sooo interesting. I see it everywhere. Maybe I'll catch up on the Vampire Diaries Series first before I dive into this one. Great review!

    ReplyDelete

 
Blog design by Imagination Designs