Sunday, August 14, 2011

Review: Ascend (Trylle Trilogy #3) - Amanda Hocking


Name: Ascend

Author: Amanda Hocking

General Release Date: 11th January 2011

Date I finished it: 4th August 2011

Type: Kindle Book

From: Amazon

My Rating: 5/5 stars





This is the last and in my opinion the best book of the entire Trylle Trilogy by Amanda Hocking.
I actually much prefer this series to her My Blood Approves one.

After everything that happened in the second book Torn, I was totally lost as to how Amanda was going to pull everything together and create an ending to the series. Somehow she managed to do just that and leave me feeling both sad that the series is over, but also happy about the ending.

Ascend once again follows Wendy as she slowly starts taking over the decision making process for the kingdom from her mother, and fretting about whether she is making the right choices or not.
Wendy also has to decide on the best way to deal with the Vittra situation, either loose some of her people to save the kingdom or give it up entirely to the hands of the Vittra.
Even with all of this going on, she barely has time to organise her own wedding!

I loved this book most of all because I felt like you finally got to see a different side to Wendy, a more mature and grown up character who put the love of her kingdom and people before her own (most of the time).
It was also nice to see everyone coming together to save the Trylle kingdom from the Vittra.

I read a lot of books similar to this series, and most of the time the romance element in them is very predictable, often from page one. I love how Amanda added a little twist to Wendy's love life in this book and it completely changed the entire outcome of the series. Reading that really kept me on my toes and gave this series an edge over most of the YA paranormal books out there just now.



2 comments:

  1. Didn't you just love the "love twist?!" I thought it was better that way. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I must be one of the few who didn't care for this series. I can see why you did, though, I appreciate the thorough review!

    ReplyDelete

 
Blog design by Imagination Designs